Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Food Preparation and Nutrition
Students studying food preparation and nutrition will be :
- Demonstrate effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking a variety of food commodities whilst using different cooking techniques and equipment.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and chemical characteristics of food as well as a sound knowledge of the nutritional content of food and drinks.
- Understand the relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health.
- Understand the economic, environmental, ethical and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes, diet and health choices.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and microbiological food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food.
- Understand and explore a range of ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international) to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes.
Summary of Assessment
Component 1: Principles of Food Preparation and Nutrition
- Written examination: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 50% of qualification
This component will consist of two sections both containing compulsory questions and will assess the six areas of content as listed in the specified GCSE content.
- Section A: questions based on stimulus material.
- Section B: structured, short and extended response questions to assess content related to food preparation and nutrition.
Component 2: Food Preparation and Nutrition in Action
Non-examination assessment: internally assessed and externally moderated.
- Assessment 1: 8 hours
- Assessment 2: 12 hours
- 50% of qualification
Assessment 1: The Food Investigation Assessment
- A scientific food investigation which will assess the learner's knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to scientific principles underlying the preparation and cooking of food.
Assessment 2: The Food Preparation Assessment
- Prepare, cook and present a menu which assesses the learner’s knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to the planning, preparation, cooking and presentation of food.