Summer Reading Challenge 2019
The English department at Idsall School is promoting the Summer Reading Challenge as part of our transition activities and we would like all students to take part in this, ready for the new academic year. It’s a fantastic summer activity and a great way to prepare for Year 7 at Idsall.
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national scheme run through local libraries, which takes place every year during the summer holidays. This year’s theme is Space Chase, inspired by the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. The Reading Challenge is coordinated by local libraries, where resources and further information can be found. Extra information can also be found at:
What you need to do:
- Sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge at your local library.
- Become a member of your local library, if you’re not already.
- Keep on track of your reading and collect special rewards along the way.
- Read six library books to complete the Challenge.
- Collect your Reading Challenge certificate from your local library.
Once you have completed the Challenge, you will need to keep your certificate safe and bring it with you to your first English lesson, along with your library card. Your teacher will then award you with Merits.
And as an additional challenge…
You may also like to redesign a book cover of your favourite book: any students who do this will be awarded with extra Merits and the work will then be used for a department display, showcasing all of the wonderful designs and inspiring others to get reading!